Monday, October 18, 2010

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST OFFERING?

The great Mahatma Ghandi once gave this challenge: to “be the change that you want to see in the world.” Therefore, instead of ranting about unjust social structures and pointing a finger at leaders for poor governance, I raised my hand and volunteered. A year after graduating from college, eager to prove myself to the world, I joined the 10-month volunteer program of Jesuit Volunteers Philippines or JVP. I followed the path that many others took before me, and in a sense, I continued the mission of those who also answered the call to serve and make a difference.

On my first assignment, I was sent to be a teacher to the tribal students in Lake Sebu, South Cotabato. I know that most people associate South Cotabato with kidnapping, Muslim extremism or violence. Fortunately, that was not how I experienced South Cotabato. Lake Sebu is a tourist destination with 7 breath-taking waterfalls and 3 wide lakes which are full with life and enriched by cultural tales.

However, I was not in Lake Sebu to be a tourist. I was there to make my small difference: to teach T’boli students in the mountains. I was quite surprised that when I met my first class of students, many were nearly twice my age, and no strangers to farmwork and hard labor. The sun darkened male students after days of planting or harvesting in the field. Many of my female students were already mothers who need to go home immediately after schoolhours to take care of children, and cook dinner for their families. Even with this age difference, the re-learning how to read and write, regaining the patience of study habits – all my students believed in the rewards of getting a good education.

You can say that I was hooked with making a difference. I did not put my hand down yet and re-volunteered. JVP then sent me to teach for another school year. This time, they gave me a rather difficult assignment: to teach yet again, but high up in the mountains of Miarayon, Bukidnon to teach Talaandig tribal students. The place didn’t have electricity at that time, save for the 4-hour evening electricity from a generator set. It was cold as Miarayon rests hundreds of feet above sea level. My students were sons and daughters of farmers who during weekends help in the field. They brave strong winds, long walks and cold mornings just to attend school. Their perseverance inspired me, and made me more patient with making lesson plans using a small lamplight.

My two years worth of volunteering were unforgettable. Being in South Cotabato and Bukidnon gave me the privilege of serving the marginalized. I went up to the mountains to make a difference. By rendering faith-driven service, I was changed.

Now, I know that that road that I chose might not be for everyone. Volunteering was the road I chose, the road I took to answer a challenge. Not all can pack their bags, go up to the mountains, and teach. Yet, one thing is for sure, we all can make a difference – wherever we are, with whatever we have to offer. And you can start making that difference now.

Today’s popular culture is teeming with hungry vampires, extra powerful werewolves, people who can change their appearance, levitate, apparate or move objects by merely looking at them. They are in this constant battle with other creatures, their strength and their special abilities are their great offering to win a certain war or challenge. We are fascinated by extra ordinary powers, maybe because we can identify with these characters, because we believe that there is power within, and a power to make a difference.

We are engrossed with magical and virtual characters, yet the truth is – we have our limits, we have mortal bodies, which we should listen to and take care of. And so let us look closer at how we are nourishing ourselves: are we exercising and eating a healthy balanced diet? Are we taking enough sleep and rest? And we ask ourselves further, how are we in our relationships? How am I as a person? As a friend? Am I kind? Am I forgiving? Am I loving? I suggest we answer these questions every now and then: because this mortal, blessed gift of life is all we have – and we have to make it our greatest offering.

We have God to thank for what is given us: our talents, skills and abilities, let us sharpen them. Let us share them.

We might not have washboard abs, and bursting muscles, we might not possess supernatural powers, but certainly, in our current state, we can do extraordinary things with great love, and hope.

And so let us thank and pray to God for this privilege to make our simple contribution of positive change, in our school, in our home and eventually in our society.

And so we pray in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Heavenly Father,

We thank you for this gift of life.

We offer you this day, we offer You our joys, our challenges and pains.

Strengthen us in times of trials, renew us always in your love.

Bless our talents and abilities; bless our lives, as it is our greatest offering.

All these we pray through Christ our Lord,

Amen.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.