Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reflection for Ateneo High School Faculty


Math Subject Area Reflection
Jeremias A. Endrina, Jr.
May 17, 2010

Good morning!

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to give a reflection in behalf of the Math Subject Area. This brought me less sleep hours at night thinking of what the reflection would be and how would I communicate it. I was pressured by the reflections given last week. I’m neither sensibly funny like Sir Enzo, part of the main cast of Igkas like Maam Jovy (I was with the cut and paste committee) nor did I cast my vote last elections (I was registered in Bukidnon and nobody was willing to sponsor my fare.) Not until I had my shower last friday that I remembered some thoughts shared to us by Dr. Jaguthsing Dindyal, our Ateneo-Singapore Workhop Speaker. I reflected on those points that same day, which made me think of so many things during the last day of the seminar-workshop. I am sorry for that. Nevertheless, the workshop was all worth it. I was able to reflect and prepare for this morning’s reflection.

I will share what I have reflected about three “don’ts” on assessing student learning. I would like to emphasize that I got these from the words of Dr. Jaguthsing Dindyal. After my reflection, I will show a video for synthesis and post questions for individual reflection. We will then end with a prayer.

The following are the points that struck me during the workshop:
1. don’t rely in assessing student learning on one source of information;
2. don’t conduct a test to penalize weak students rather conduct a test to assess students' learning;
3. don’t give credit to correct answer with incorrect solution for obviously you cannot have an accurate answer if your method is wrong.

First, don’t rely in assessing student learning on one source of information. You might ask, what makes it striking? Let me tell you some of my teaching experiences in my first year here in the Ateneo. For reasons I do not know, I was blessed with challenges last school year. I had the “makukulit, nakaka-inis at nakaka-asar,” students. Sorry for the descriptions. It was my first time, in my three years of teaching, that I felt some pains in the neck whenever I get mad at my students - I hope it won’t lead to hypertension later on. Most of the time, for lack of a better term, I call them “basura” at the back of my mind. Which would trigger my conscience saying, “je, hindi yan magandang gawain.” It is but right for a teacher to reprimand students who often sleep in class, fail most of the long tests and worse, feel tired about their life. One day a student, not one of those unruly ones, a Math achiever in fact, approached me and shared something about a problem his family went through these past few months. He shared that he might not be able to perform well in class because he is bothered and disturbed about it. I didn’t expect something like this from a student like him. My impression of him is that he is a happy-go-lucky person. Now, I learned that not all of what my students show and do are true. They could be facades of what they experience at home. And that I should not judge them for who they are because of what I see in them. This experience echoes what Mr. Bilog said: students who often have sanctions are the same students who experience difficulty at home, and who we are right now is a product of what we have experienced in the past (Sean Covey; 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens).

I would like to add that although my experiences shaped me to become who I am today, I believe that I still have the freedom to reshape it the way I want it to be. I can choose not to be controlled by my life experiences rather I learn from them and soar to greater heights. My students might not understand this by now. But as a teacher, I can start making them feel that they are more than what they say and do in school. I will not rely on one-sided information to know them better. To understand them is to be convinced with the idea that they are more than what they show in class.

Second, don’t conduct a test to penalize weak students but to assess students' learning. I confess that I sometimes violate this sacred principle of assessment. Looking back, I would sometimes wish that the unruly students would fail in all assessments I conduct, so that the agony of always reprimanding them will come to an end. I would at times find pleasure in the low scores of my unwanted students. And worst, I would box them as the “no wonder why” students. Sad to say, even though they do not do homework regularly, these same students have more than enough ability to pass the subject.

Last Thursday after the workshop, around 4:30pm, Senator Jinggoy Estrada entered the MST workroom with Sir Jerry Pavia. We were all star struck by his presence that when I passed by him my only thoughts were, “ah, si Jinggoy.” Maam Jo, who was then talking to Patrick, did not stop uttering words as a reaction to what she saw even though Patrick did not anymore understand what Maam Jo was saying. The day after that, I learned that Jinggoy’s son will be studying in our school and could possibly be one of my students. Since I don’t really like Jinggoy, my reaction was “sana hindi ako” and “kung ako magiging guro ng anak hiya, humanda siya sa akin.” How bad those thoughts were. I’m afraid that if I won’t put a stop to it, neither will I be happy with my second year of teaching here in the Ateneo nor he, the son of Senator Jinggoy, will have a meaningful experience of . “Thoughts become things,” a famous line from the documentary entitled The Secret. Because I have a negative impression programmed in my mind about some of my students and Senator Jinggoy, I begin to translate it in not so good ways. I start to notice more of the negative in them. I set out to be very critical on what they do. I embark on thinking about punishing them as a form of revenge. For sure, I will be the one who will have less in this game because I will fail to enjoy their company as my students.

Third, don’t give credit to a correct answer with an incorrect solution for obviously you cannot have an accurate answer if your method is wrong. This made me think of the correct way of learning about life. Is it through the school? Is it through other people? Or is it through experiences? Either way, I am sure that my students taught me a lot about life. My first year teaching experience here in the Ateneo is something that I should be thankful for. Although it was a roller coaster ride, I believe it has molded me to become a better teacher. I strongly believe that my being here is part of the correct method that constantly makes me learn things. And in faith, I believe it was Him who planned all these. He is indeed the greatest teacher - He who deserves all the credit. To Him be the glory! My students, Senator Jinggoy, Dr. Dindyal, my colleagues in the Math Subject Area were instrumental to who I am today – better teacher, better worker and better person. Plus ten to them! I would like to say the words shared to us by Fr. Rudy Fernandez, “For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes.”

Now, I would like to show a video clip as a synthesis of my reflection. The video clip was created from a fictional story written by Elizabeth Silance Ballard published in 1974 by Home Life Magazine entitled "Three Letters from Teddy."

(Show video clip.)

Before the closing prayer, I would like us to spend few minutes reflecting on the following questions:
a. What has been my greatest lesson this past school year?
b. How did God manifest His teachings to me?
c. What do I hope for this coming school year?


Prayer:

Loving God, you believed in me that’s why you entrusted me with a great responsibility of molding not just the mind but the whole person of my students. Give me the grace to open my heart to every student under my care. Bestow me with your wisdom to transcend with the realities of life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit to sustain the strength in me. I thank you for the daily opportunity of becoming a better person for my students. May I be faithful to Your plan here on earth as I try to follow the example of Your Son Jesus Christ, the greatest Teacher. Amen.