Friday, July 17, 2009

WhEre is Salu-Salo? – Hanggang MomENtum Ca Lang E…

The Mass of Holy Spirit is one of the most auspicious events for me in the Ateneo H.S It is the event that unites me with the entire Ateneo Community. It is when I have salu-salos, know more about my classmates, teachers and co-parents. But is that an accurate understanding of what the Mass of the Holy Spirit is all about?

The Mass of the Holy Spirit is the celebration where we receive the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit invites us as unredeemed persons to follow Christ. We are brought to Christ when we receive the Holy Spirit. We are “Born Again” with the Spirit.

Jesus Himself was also gifted with the Holy Spirit. When Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist (Mt. 3: 13-17), a dove descended upon Jesus Christ. The dove symbolized the Holy Spirit who anointed him with extraordinary power and the gifts he needed for his public ministry. The Holy Spirit is truly a gift to us to help others.

As Christians, the Mass of the Holy Spirit should remind me that yes, I am a sinful being; however, I could be redeemed by following God’s Ways. As an Atenean, the Mass gives me light by reminding me to share my gifts with other people as how the Holy Spirit has sent me His gifts. I can clearly share my gifts especially to those who are in need like the TD Kids. I am invited to share my knowledge that I have acquired from our school to the TD Kids so that they will be able use these gifts for the greater glory of God.

I know almost everyone would criticize that this year’s Mass of the Holy Spirit was not as memorable as before. It was not THE BEST mainly because there was no salu-salo and honestly, I do have to agree with them. I know that the school is hurrying up with its busy schedule due to the large amount of suspension of classes but the event lost not it’s essence but it’s momentum – the family gathering, salu-salo, games/events and even the attendance of our own principal. How sad it is that the event was not as vivacious as it was before!

Despite the lack of momentum, it is very important that I remember the essence of this event – to simply hear and follow God. This is the last Mass of the Holy Spirit I will have in the High School and this might serve as a lesson not only to me but to everyone that the celebration is not about me and you, him nor her, they nor us, but rather it is more about Him whom which we sometimes forget.

Shared by Barry Union R. Kayanan, 4G

Photos courtesy of Justin Santos of the class of 4I